top tips for getting into the media
ten handy tips from The DoNation
Whether you’re shooting for your local paper, national radio, a blog, or the international press, here are our top tips for getting into the media:
1. Keep your press release punchy. Open with the killer headline.
2. Include all the crucial information in the first paragraph.
3. Sell the personal story of your challenge
4. Try and tie it into the bigger picture – a national story about climate change or good old Big Society, perhaps.
5. Do your research – know where your story would fit best (e.g. sports, news, or society?) and check their publishing deadlines
6. Know who to contact – get a personal email or phone number, and remember their name.
7. Keep it to no more than one page, double spaced and short paragraphs.
- The date
- A good quote and a photo
- Some quotes from a few of your sponsors, and what they’re doing
- The link to your DoNation page
- Your contact details – are you happy for an interview or photos?
9. Finish it with ‘ENDS' or '###' to indicate the end of the press release.
10. Follow up with a phone call.